Sunday, March 07, 2010

Reflections

2010 started off with a bang really. Going back home to Brunei for Chinese New Year and having see a lot of people who I have not seen in at least 5 years. It felt great catching up and all!

But, having said that, it also got me looking back/stepping back, to see what I have done with my life. I have a degree and a diploma. I have a job in the construction world where the pay is honestly quite good for just being out of school.

Where do I stand?

I enter a phase in life, where a lot of my peers are buying houses, getting engaged, getting married, these are the sorts of parties I get invited to nowadays, engagement parties, house warming parties, weddings. and it got me thinking,

What have I done with my life?

Am I happy doing what I am doing? Do I want to settle down in Edmonton? What is my calling?

As I take a step back and think about it, no, I am not entirely happy being in construction. It is a crude world where everyone is quite negative, working towards a deadline, and working yourself out of a job. It is not where I want to end up. I have been in Edmonton for almost 10 years now, I have met a lot of wonderful people, I have done a lot of fun things, I know this city really well. It is not a big place and the pace of life is quite laid back. I like a laid back pace, but also, a part of me would like to experience a faster pace life, just for experience. No, I do not want to settle down in Edmonton, not yet anyways. For those of you who know me, they would know about my interest in Hotels and the leisure/tourism industry. It has always fascinated me and people are always happy and what not there. Truthfully, I would love to start a new in the hotel industry, even if its from the bottom up. That is one of the options I am contemplating.

But right now, my efforts are going to be moved towards saving money. Should I want a change of environment or move back to Asia, I cannot go empty handed. I would need a good financial background to back me up. So for now, the goal is to save money while confirming what it is truly that I want to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home