Wednesday, July 02, 2008

First Day back to Fort McMurray and it has already been a rough one.

First and foremost; I did not get confirmation of my flight until about 4pm-ish on Monday. But that’s ok, I already expected to fly out today so I had already started packing, just didn’t completely pack yet. It would be nice to know way ahead when I’ll be flying. Well, that said and done, I flew in and what not. Looked at the sky and its dark and gloomy, and even rained a little, the kicker is that, I forget that Fort McMurray is not Edmonton and did not bring a jacket, so I was pretty much freezing a little when I got here. The next bad thing that happened is that I do not have internet connection for some odd reason and cannot go online. So I am cold, hungry and bored; bad way to start my term in Fort McMurray. Once I get settled down, things will hopefully be a lot better.

Weekend that was….

This last weekend was a long weekend, and being the last long weekend before I leave for the Fort, I was going to make the most of it. And I think I did make the most of it.
Friday night was a more chilled one with some of my friends coming over and just chilled and talked and what not, before going out for a late night supper, nothing beats food at 2AM!

New Glasses!!

At noon on Saturday, I went for an eye Exam at a clinic where one of my friends works at, its called the Optometrists’ Clinic. Its home to a lot of expensive frames, some of the more expensive frames I’ve ever seen, they are all so nice, trendy and stylish though. I bought a pair that we kind of picked out 2 weeks ago; its silver and green, definitely something different, and fobby. Looking forward to pick it up when I go back to Edmonton on my turnaround. The best thing is, since I am friends with one of the girls there, they gave me a 10% discount, so nice!!
There’s nothing like celebrating the purchase of new glasses by having lunch at deluxe burger bar, one of my favourite restaurants/lounge in the city. I had mini kobe beef burgers and some salad with sweet potato fries…mmm, I forgot to take a picture of it, oopss. Next time.
After lunch, went with friend from eye clinic to Kingsway to shop and exchange some stuff, and we were basically able to kill about 2.5-3 hours just walking around there.
Drove two of my friends to the Airport for their trip to Vancouver/Seattle, so envious! I want to go on another vacation, but that’ll have to wait.
Saturday night was spent just resting until a couple friends came over and we headed out for a bit. We had to conserve some energy for the next day.

Sylvan Lake

Being that it was a long weekend for most of us, we decided to have an outing to Sylvan Lake, and knowing Albertans and our lack of big bodies of water, we knew Sylvan Lake is going to be packed. Hence, we decided to leave Edmonton early to try and get there early. We got there around 10, so that involved us leaving Edmonton at 830, and which involved me waking up at 615 to drive two other friends to our meet up point.
As expected, Sylvan Lake was packed full of people all size, age, gender, race, you name it. Our group consisted of 8 people, so it wasn’t too hard to find a decent spot, which we did. One of our friends brought her roommate along who’s new to Edmonton. It’s always good to meet new people and she’s an easy girl to get along with and definitely a lot of fun. We were in the sun and water a lot, and needless to say, I worked up a pretty good tan and I am darker than I already am. I bought a rubber rowing boat, that thing was worth the investment! We all had so much fun taking turns and rowing out to the lake. Rowing a boat isn’t as easy as it seems, but I thought I learnt reasonably well. After a whole day at the sun and what not, we finally called it a day and left at around 630, the drive home seemed like forever as I was pretty tired from the days’ activities. I passed out fairly early that night, fairly early was probably an understatement.

Golfing

We had a tee time booked on Monday afternoon for a 18- hole course in Riverbend. The course was called River Ridge. Its my first 18 hole outing in a long time, and on top of that, my first Par 72 outing in a Long time. Whoever says Golf isn’t a sport has not played golf, the concentration, and stamina needed to play an 18 hole outing is tremendous. I could hardly hit the ball after the 13th hole. So I had to tap out, that and my stomach wasn’t feeling too hot, so I decided to take a breather and call it quits. Driving a golf cart around is pretty fun stuff! We were like little kids in a candy store with those golf carts, they get abused so much.
The course itself was probably one of the hardest one I’ve played at, there were water everywhere and woods. I lost probably around 10 balls overall, not too bad considering how almost every course had water hazard. I definitely need to practice more. Golfing is indeed addicting, and frustrating.
Personally, I didn’t do as well as I had hoped, but considering some of my drives and approach, I know what I have to work on, mostly my shorter games…and hitting from the grass, hitting in the driving range posed no problem for me, it’s hitting from the grass that eats me up alive. Must practice.

Camp Room in Fort McMurray

I am living in yet another camp, this will be my fourth camp in about 3-4 months? Previous camps were Albian Village, Athatsbaca lodge, Calumet river lodge. This 4th camp is called Wapasu creek Lodge. And honestly, it might be the best camp room yet. I have an executive room this time around, so that means, double bed, flat screen tv, mini fridge, internet, my own bathroom, a leather arm chair. The food itself was amazing too, definitely one of the better camp food I’ve had. But that was only one night, let’s hope the rest of the nights’ food is just as good.
The only thing I have to complain about my room/camp is that I don’t have reception on my personal cell phone, so pretty much, the only way to get to me is by calling me or by internet, which I guess isn’t too bad. Otherwise, I am pretty sure I’ll enjoy my stay here. No expense for a good 10 days, definitely on the way to save up some money.

I’ve taken a few pictures using my phone, but the smart me didn’t bring a memory card reader, so I can’t upload any pictures, shall do that next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home